Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mission to Commission Pt.2

The process of a first time Corset Maker:


Needs:
Scissors and file for boning. A marker (I like to use it on the muslin to mark and number wear to lay my boning~shows better than chalk). I am also using an old pillow case that I marked from 1-15 so I know which sized boning goes where. A mountain of heavy books to straighten the boning. A towel doubled over to keep the books from getting wet. A pot of boiling water to make the boning pliable.



Cut the muslin in the shape that best fits your model. The bigger the lady, the more boning to help shape her more beautifully. As you can see I am using pre-covered boning. I have never worked with steel boning before so sticking with what I know...plastic.

^Boning cut and numbered to be replaced after straightening.^

^The outer part of the corset and underlap.^

This process is a bit tedious, but soooo much fun. Especially when finished :)

No comments:

Post a Comment